Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Remember: That Time You Got Into Lawyer School

Applying to law school is like competing to be America's Next Top Model, writing an epitaph and appealing an approaching death sentence. Only you have do it all while being chased by angry bulls, AND munchkin goblins are shooting you with rubber bands. (Photo: gnackgnackgnack)

I apply first to my #1 school, The University of the District of Columbia, David A. Clark School of Law. This school is devoted to generating lawyers committed to serving the public interest. Tuition is relatively inexpensive, so students can actually afford to work for non-profits after graduation. And all students perform a minimum of 700 hours of faculty-supervised representation of low-income DC residents. Whoo!

ALSO, the bus that goes to the school stops at my FRONT DOOR.

Preparing my resume and writing the personal statement takes three weeks; it also takes a village. In addition to getting comments from people I actually know, I solicit comments from Oprah, Obama and the Dalai Lama.

My Mom: "Honey, just be yourself. You haven't turned it in yet!? The earlier..."
Mandrew: "Calm Down."
Friend Nikki: "Dude, TAKE your mission off your resume!"
Oprah, Obama and the Dalai Lama: No Response. (Gerks)

I finally get all the application materials together and send them in the week before Christmas. I hold my breath. I smile. I pretend that my entire future doesn't rest on 1373 words and a bad LSAT score.

After a few weeks, anxiety overpowers reason, and I start furiously applying to backup schools I have no great interest in. (Note: Applying to random law schools is an expensive habit. Next time, try smoking instead.)

The day after paying a few million dollars in application fees, I get mail from the University of DC. The envelope looks like it contains more than a single rejection letter (Had a letter from the school arrived in a regular sized envelope, I might have imploded). Luckily Mandrew is spared my dramatics, because it's an acceptance letter to the only school I really wanted to attend!

THANK YOU ADMISSIONS GODS!
and THANK YOU VILLAGE OF HELPFUL FRIENDS!

5 comments:

Brooke S. said...

MARK! We're so excited for you! (And we're pretty excited about that picture of you in the bathtub.)
Congratulations! Max has asked that you request some lovin' from the Admission Gods as he prepares to take the Foreign Service Exam in February.

Again, Congrats!

Rebecca said...

That sucks that you sent out your other applications the day before...but you're going to your number one law school!!!!!!! and the transportation gods have smiled on you, too, which you know is important to me.

Unknown said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! my little marc-y is growing up!

Patricia said...

MARC MARCMARC!!! CONGRATS!!!! those must have been some REALLY good 1373 words. you are a champ.

lia said...

remember that one time (or everysingledaytime) that i was so so so proud of you?!

and why. tell me why you are so damn cute. i print out those self-portraits and hang them in my room in lieu of movie-star posters.