Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Gluttony Primer: Rainbow & Unicorn Cake

Part 1 - Rainbow Cake

Years ago, while enduring late night pancake cravings with Ash Mae, we were inspired to make pancakes out of cake mix. Some inspiration comes from an inner voice, and some inspiration stares at you like a Duncan Hines mix adjacent an empty bag of Bisquick.

We colored every pancake green and then stacked them with vanilla pudding in-between each layer. We covered the cake with Cool Whip and devoured the best midnight snack every created.

While making cakes for a friend's birthday, I got A LITTLE carried away. This time around, I decided to make a rainbow cake by coloring each pancake a different color.

I told the birthday girl, "Pretend that I'm Ace of Cakes (and therefore insanely unlimited by reason or artistic ability). Name three things you want." She said, "Chocolate, Raspberry, Unicorn." If she had said, "Starship Enterprise, Non-Fat, Barack Obama," she would have been out of luck, and the whole "Pretend I'm Ace of Cakes and you can have anything you want..." exercise would have been a complete waste. Luckily, she picked the only three things I am capable of.

I decided to make an accompanying rainbow cake, because 1) I needed an excuse to try it out, and 2) she is one of a handful of people that can appreciate that much food coloring.
*It looks slightly burnt, and it is, in that "I'm-so-overwhelmed-by-frosting-and-color-that-I-can't-even-tell" kinda way.

In the end, I covered the colored pancakes in cream cheese frosting resulting in a very sad minimalist-looking rainbow-shaped cake (sorry, I forgot to take pictures of the final product).
However, when someone cut the first slice, the people rejoiced, Pocahontas appeared singing "Every Color of the Wind," and sparkles fell from the stars turning us all into our spirit animal.

Instructions
1. Make cake mix.
2. Color a 1/2 cup of batter any color of the rainbow.
3. Fry it like a pancake (Use lots of cooking spray)

Part 2-The Last Unicorn Cake

The chocolate cake & raspberry filling recipes are here. Smitten Kitchen, marry me.

The marshmallow fondant recipe is here. I'm convinced MM Fondant would have made more Republicans vote for the stimulus bill (I've forwarded this recipe to Obama's Chief of Staff).

Mandrew made the raspberry filling for the cake and then listened to me freak out as I tried to roll the fondant without tearing it.

"AAARRRHHHH. I'm RUINING it!!!!"

"Calm down. It's just a cake for a friend."

"NO! THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING I WILL EVER DO... [unreasonableness] [more unreasonableness] [long tirade of childish unreasonableness]."
Somehow Mandrew managed to calm me down, and I placed the fondant on the cake and decorated it. The party-goers loved it, and the birthday girl was happy.

And here it is, the pinnacle of my life's work. Every moment has only been in preparation for this cake.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

this is literally so magical it brought tears to my eyes. i LOVE the eyelashes on the unicorn (very nice touch). also, you made fondant? i am so impressed!

butchie said...

You win everything. Even I haven't tried making fondant, and I make fleur de sel caramels for fun. So incredibly awesome.

emily said...

oh my goodness these are amazing! what a good friend you are.

this is not nearly as fancy, but i once made banana-chocolate chip muffins with blue food coloring. what with the yellow banana and the smattering of chocolate chips in accidental face shapes, they ended up looking like green aliens. delicious, bright green aliens.

also, i now dream of such a glorious cake-cutting as the one you described.

Rebecca said...

Both cakes are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

Did you cut the unicorn that shape or did you have a unicorn shaped pan?

pandabeard said...

I baked the cake in two square pans and then cut it into shape.

Patricia said...

okay, i feel like i should have been asking you for more cakes. i want a unicorn!

ashmae said...

marc, perhaps this very same day darcie and i were on the other side of the country also discovering marshmellow fondant and making a giant sea shell. it's amazing, and so are your cakes.

brenda barrett-taylor said...

oh, remember our cake making days... (a single tear falls forcefully down my cheek). sigh. these cakes are awesome. pink llamas are good too.

Brooke S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amy barr said...

holy crap, marc! i am so totally in rainbow-unicorn-cake LOVE with you! why have we not opened up a collaborative confectionery business yet?!?! did you know that i once made a ronald reagan cake for an 80s under the sea prom themed party? it's true. let's work on a business plan...