Monday, February 2, 2009

Underage: Pants on Fire

It would appear I began telling lies the moment I exited the womb. At the time of this writing, I was in 3rd grade.

My mother says this actually happened when I was in 2nd grade, while we were living in Arizona. At a parent teacher conference, my teacher congratulated my father on the great season the Phoenix Suns were having and asked how he found time to attend parent teacher conferences.

After a moment of confusion, my mother asked my teacher what she was talking about. My teacher told them I had told the class my dad was an NBA All-Star.

Most likely my dad paused to ponder where he failed as a father before explaining that he was not indeed the great Charles Barkley, but merely an engineer at Intel with regular hours.

I can only imagine that the meeting moved forward with my teacher explaining to my parents that I was a special child that might need more attention in spelling and truth-telling.

My Mother and Father
have told ME stories about
When I was a little kid.
Here is one of the Stories
I like best.
I was when
I was two years old.
I was watching basket-
ball. My dad has a hop
I saw the hop and
I saw the basketball
then when I went to
school. I mean preskol
I told my teacher
my dad was
in NBA.

5 comments:

pandabeard said...

I just want to point out that: 1) I am shooting with both hands, 2) I am wearing a red bandana, and 3) I have a sweater tied around my waist.

Inasmuch as this is an accurate representation of my daily attire/actions back then, my teacher should never have believed my father was in the NBA.

Unknown said...

all of the above are strong indications of amazingness! "i saw the hop and i saw the basketball then when i went to school." genius. i like how "school" is spelled right but "preskool" just didn't quite make it.

Patricia said...

hahahahahahahahahahaha. SO AMAZING. but i really want you to be directly related to sir charles.

Heather said...

how tall is your dad? :)

pandabeard said...

6'5" (With 4 inch heels)